These little treats turned out so well and I'm excited to share an allergy-free baked item that not only worked (consistency and flavor) but it is relatively guilt free!
Inspiration came from the Minimalist Baker post
on Easy Cinnamon Rolls. The title hooked me right in! The problems I had to address were changing the 7 simple ingredients to match my dietary restricted needs. Challenge accepted!
Coconut milk instead of almond milk
Coconut oil instead of Earth balance
Pamela's GF Bread mix instead of regular flour
Date paste added as the gooey filling instead of white sugar
Coconut fat and honey for frosting topper instead of dairy or powdered sugar alternatives
AND so the recipe is as follows....
Ingredients for dough:
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 1 bag Pamela's GF Bread Mix
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp sugar, need it to activate the yeast
Ingredients for filling: (blend in a food processor)
- 1 cup pitted dates, soaked for a few hours
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup pumpkin
- cinnamon and/or pumpkin spice to taste
Ingredients for "frosting":
- 1 can Natural Value Coconut milk, must be cold, use only the hardened fat on top!
- 1/4 cup honey
- cinnamon to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a large sauce pan (or in a bowl in the microwave at 30 sec increments), heat the coconut milk and 3 Tbsp coconut oil until warm and melted, never reaching boiling. Remove from heat and let cool to 110 degrees, or the temperature of bath water. It should be warm but not too hot or it will kill the yeast.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle on yeast. Let activate for 10 minutes, then add 1 Tbsp sugar and the salt and stir.
- Next add in flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go. The dough will be sticky. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or so until it forms a loose ball. Rinse your mixing bowl out, coat it with rice bran oil or avocado oil, and add your dough ball back in. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size (this doesn't exactly happen with GF bread, it will rise a little).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. Spread the date paste/filling over the dough like pizza sauce application.
- Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down. Then with a serrated knife or a string of floss, cut the dough into 1.5 - 2 inch sections and position in a well-oiled 8x8 square or comparable sized round pan (you should have about 10 rolls). Brush with remaining 2 Tbsp coconut oil (melted) and cover with plastic wrap. Set on top of the oven to let rise again while you preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes and then serve immediately.
- Optional: Frost with coconut frosting (shown above, just mix all ingredients together).