Let's talk about this.
What is Cholesterol?
This soft, waxy substance is found not only in your bloodstream, but also in every cell in your body, where it helps to produce cell membranes, hormones, vitamin D and bile acids that help you to digest fat. That statement alone should give you insight into the many mechanisms of the body that can become imbalanced or less than optimal when cholesterol is suppressed by medication. Secondly, cholesterol helps in the formation of your memories and is vital for neurological function.
Your liver makes about 75 percent of your body's cholesterol, let's repeat that, your liver makes 75% of your body's cholesterol. Meaning the other 25% comes from dietary sources. So yes, we could conclude that cutting back on dietary sources of cholesterol if one already has high cholesterol could make a difference. However, might one think that excessive amounts are coming from your liver's response to stress, toxins, hormonal imbalance, excessive sugar intake which is toxic to your liver, and possibly the obscene amounts of alcohol we drink to be socially accepted and to "unwind" after 40-60hour work weeks?? I'm just saying, your body is not a math equation, it is not as simple as "I have high cholesterol, so I should stop eating cholesterol containing foods and it will go down". There are too many variables to make this very simple assumption, especially with the high cholesterol theory.
Let me say too that high cholesterol is NOT a good marker of your risk for heart disease. Our grandparents and great grandparents grew up with more beef lard, butter, and eggs than our parents, and we didn't see heart disease skyrocket until AFTER the 1950's when saturated fats were banned, fat free foods flooded the supermarkets, and we started eating any and everything BUT real whole foods/fats. The era of highly processed foods was upon us, and that my friends is when heart disease became a problem. So, one might think it was what we added into our diets, not what we took out that caused the problem ehe?
"The American Heart Association recommends that your total cholesterol should be less than 200 mg/dL, but what they do not tell you is that total cholesterol level is just about worthless in determining your risk for heart disease, unless it is above 300."- Dr. Mercola
So let's look at this with a larger view, with the bigger picture in mind, because that's what I like to remind my clients. What is in that meal you're eating? Is it made from real whole food "things", or is it fake food? Are you eating too many inflammatory foods, too many carbohydrates, too many processed foods, too many hydrogenated toxic oils...cause lord knows it's not natures divine egg causing harm to your health. Look at your diet and lifestyle as a whole, not as one marker on a blood test.